Medical Malpractice Stemming From Medical Errors
When we are ill and vulnerable, our doctor assumes the important role of healer and helper. Many doctors live up to this position of trust. Sadly, some do not. According to recent studies, from 200,000 to 400,000 Americans die each year from medical errors made by doctors and other medical professionals (Journal of Patient Safety, A New, Evidence-based Estimate of Patient Harms Associated with Hospital Care , 2014). This is more than the number of deaths from highway accidents, breast cancer, or AIDS.
Some medical errors constitute "medical malpractice," defined as health care that falls below accepted medical standards, causing a patient's injury or death. Examples of medical malpractice claims that we have handled at Brayton Purcell LLP involve:
- failure to prescribe a necessary test or perform an appropriate evaluation;
- misdiagnosis of cancer and other medical conditions;
- delay in diagnosing cancer;
- performing unnecessary surgery;
- surgical errors such as operating in the wrong area of the body or removing the wrong part or organ;
- leaving surgical instruments such as sponges in the body;
- failure to explain surgical risks to the patient;
- post surgical infections;
- nursing negligence;
- improper drug prescriptions;
- failure to refer a patient to a specialist; and
- nursing home negligence.
A good medical expert will gather the facts necessary to make a convincing medical malpractice case. He or she explains why medical care was substandard, and clarifies the damage caused by improper treatment or diagnosis.
The attorneys at Brayton Purcell LLP are experienced in the preparation and trial of medical malpractice claims. We can obtain excellent medical consultants, including doctors, medical school professors, and other medical experts who are well–known and respected. If you feel that you were injured by medical negligence, please do not hesitate to contact Brayton Purcell LLP today. We can answer questions about your legal options, refer you to a medical specialist, and handle your case with efficiency and understanding.