Keyless Ignition Vehicles Can Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

by | Oct 29, 2015 | Product Liability |

New technology is always exciting, but what happens when it becomes deadly? Recently ABC investigated the safety risks associated with automobiles with keyless ignitions. In June of 2015, two individuals died from carbon monoxide poisoning after the key fob was removed and their car was left running in the garage.

Carbon monoxide was able to build up and eventually poison them within the house. This is only two of thirteen deaths associated with keyless ignitions.

A class-action lawsuit has been filed against major automakers such as General Motors, Toyota, and Honda, in response to the potentially fatal feature. Critics are calling for a standard automatic shut off, which exists in some vehicles.

Do you own a vehicle that operates with a keyless ignition? Please tell us your thoughts within a comment below.

Sources: ABC News | CNN Money