While they are marketed as a “safer” alternative to smoking, e-cigarettes are proving to be more dangerous than users initially thought. Aside from nicotine addiction, users now face the devices’ batteries exploding during use.
One such explosion happened to a California man this past October. The incident left him with a burned mouth and hand, an amputated finger, and the need for surgery on his tongue. Another victim has suffered a broken neck after e-cigarettes exploded in his hand during use.
The explosions stem from the lithium ion batteries used in the devices. The batteries include flammable liquid electrolytes that can explode when exposed to too much heat.
The “e-cig” industry is booming, but it is very much unregulated. The manufacturers and sellers of these products have not created a safe product for consumer use, yet they are being sold to millions of users across the country. Many users who have experienced explosions are suing the manufacturers of the e-cigarettes that harmed them.
Have you been injured by an e-cigarette? Our attorneys are ready to hear your story. Please share your story with us in a comment below or reach out via the contact form on our website.
Sources: CBS News | Los Angeles Times