Schools are supposed to provide a safe and nurturing environment for children. However, one school recently closed after maintenance discovered deadly amounts of asbestos. 

The University of Montana recently closed one of its buildings that has been used as a preschool attended by around 50 students each year. According to a recent article, many parents are now “deeply concerned” that their children have been exposed to dangerous amounts of asbestos fibers that can lead to deadly cancers.

The most common cancer associated with asbestos exposure is Mesothelioma. Unfortunately, because symptoms of asbestos exposure can take years to develop, many people exposed to asbestos will not show signs for up to 10 to 50 years.

A recent news article reports that tests taken in the Montana preschool showed over 400 thousand asbestos fibers per square centimeter. In comparison, the EPA suggests 5,000 asbestos fibers could result in hazardous exposure. University officials claim that they only became aware of the exposure during a “routine maintenance issue.” Tragically, other schools across the country might be exposing children to asbestos fibers without their parents ever knowing.

While the Montana preschool will be closed for the remainder of the year, the university plans on doing frequent inspections when it reopens. The EPA encourages academic and other facilities across the country to conduct asbestos inspections annually to prevent people from dangerous exposures.

Asbestos exposure has been linked to several different lung diseases. Tragically, many of them are known to be fatal. If you or a loved one is diagnosed with an asbestos-related disease, consult with a mesothelioma attorney immediately to discuss your options.