Asbestos Companies in Bankruptcy
Working for Asbestos Victims
The attorneys at Brayton Purcell LLP file claims with the bankruptcy court on behalf of a client early in the case. The firm has volunteered to serve on various bankruptcy committees and closely monitors all asbestos bankruptcies.
Alan Brayton, founding and senior partner, has served as chairman of the Asbestos Unsecured Creditors’ Committee and also has served on the Owens Corning Official Committee of Asbestos Claimants. He attends meetings and works to achieve as favorable a resolution as possible for asbestos victims in relation to other bankruptcy creditors. In all cases, Brayton Purcell takes the position that it must play an active role in bankruptcies by fighting for clients’ rights. It will oppose efforts by otherwise solvent asbestos defendants to evade their responsibilities through bankruptcy.
As advocates for asbestos victims and their families, Brayton Purcell LLP works to ensure that bankruptcy and the reorganization process are not used to avoid responsibilities to asbestos claimants.
The filing of bankruptcy by a defendant in an asbestos exposure and mesothelioma claim does not equate to a lack of money. Courts have ordered these companies filing bankruptcy under section 524(g) of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code to set up trust funds exclusively to compensate asbestos victims. Many billions of dollars have been set aside in trust for qualified claimants. Trustees establish distribution procedures and get consent from advisory committees, including current and future claims or their representatives.
List of Bankruptcy Defendants
- A&I Corporation
- ABB Lummus Global, Inc.
- A-Best Products Company
- ACandS, Inc.
- Asbestos Claims Management Corp.
- A.P. Green Industries, Inc.
- A.P.I. Group, Inc.
- Armstrong World Industries, Inc.
- Artra Group, Inc.
- Asarco Incorporated
- Babcock & Wilcox Company
- Burns and Roe Enterprises, Inc.
- Brauer Supply
- Combustion Engineering, Inc.
- C E Thurston & Sons, Inc.
- The Christy Refractories Company, L.L.C.
- Congoleum Corporation
- Eagle-Picher Industries, Inc.
- E.J. Bartells Company
- Fuller-Austin Insulation Co., Inc.
- Ferodo America, Inc.
- Fibreboard Corporation
- Flexitallic, Inc.
- G-I Holdings, Inc.
- General Motors Corporation
- W.R. Grace & Co.
- Halliburton Energy Services, Inc.
- Harbison-Walker Refractories Company
- H.K. Porter
- Hercules Chemical Company, Inc.
- J.T. Thorpe, Inc.
- J.T. Thorpe Company Trust–Texas
- Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corporation
- Keene Corporation
- Kentile Floors Inc. (aka Metex Manufacturing Corp.)
- Leslie Controls, Inc.
- North American Refractories Co.
- Owens Corning Fiberglas
- Philadelphia Asbestos Corp
- Piper Aircraft Corporation
- Plant Insulation Company
- Plibrico Company
- Porter-Hayden Company
- Quigley Company, Inc.
- Raymark Industries, Inc.
- Shook & Fletcher Insulation
- Swan Transportation Company
- T&N, Ltd.
- T H Agriculture & Nutrition, L.L.C.
- Thorpe Insulation Company
- United States Gypsum Company
- United States Mineral Products Company
- Western Macarthur Company