Alabama Woman Exposed to Asbestos on Husband’s Clothing

We have mentioned that many workers are at risk for developing asbestos-related diseases due to exposure at work, but did you know that their spouses and family members are also at risk? Many individuals that came into contact with workers and their clothing are being diagnosed with asbestos-related diseases like mesothelioma, today.

In 2013, in Alabama, a woman whose husband was exposed to asbestos from pipe insulation and insulating cement while working as a machine operator passed away from malignant pleural mesothelioma. Before she passed, she filed a lawsuit claiming that her exposure was caused by washing her husband’s laundry for 22 years.

clothes pin on a clothes line

Asbestos fibers are smaller in diameter than a strand of human hair and are not visible to the naked eye unless in large concentrations. When workers were exposed to fibers on the job, they could come to rest on their skin and clothing. Those doing their laundry faced exposure when they shook out pieces of clothing before adding them to the wash.

In many cases, the employer of workers have been held responsible for the exposure of a spouse or family member due to second-hand exposure. If you have developed an asbestos-related disease due to a loved one’s exposure at work, do not hesitate to contact an experienced asbestos lawyer sooner than later.

Source: Lawyers and Settlements